The Bayview Beacon Center, a program of the Bayview YMCA, is located at the best high school in San Francisco Phillip & Sala Burton High! Together, we are implementing the community schools model to ensure that every student graduates college ready. The Beacon gives youth the tools to thrive, while also strengthening the legs that support them: parents, family and community. All Beacon programs and services are free and are open to everyone — especially students, parents and residents of Bayview Hunters Point, the Portola District and Visitacion Valley. In order to participate, just fill out a membership packet!
Youth programs take place Monday-Friday during Puma Block (2:30pm-6pm). They include the Teen Center, homework help, dance, art, music, leadership, sports , wellness workshops/case management and employment trainings. For adults and parents, the Bayview Beacon provides classes, support and fun! Check out the ESL, Computer Basics, yoga and GED classes that take place after 6pm and on Saturday mornings. In collaboration with the Burton Parent Liaison, other CBO’s and area middle and elementary schools, we offer fun events that bring the families and community together for fun and learning.
- The Bayview Beacon and Burton High School is refuge, i.e. a safe haven for individuals and families in the
- We unite the community by providing a safe, centralized space for community members to understand and explore their value and self-worth.
- We transform whole families and serve as an integral guide to help them become happy, healthy and productive members of our community.
- We build a meaningful relationship with every parent and caring adult as a way to promote their investment in themselves, their children, the school and the greater community.
- We encourage self-discovery through mental, physical, spiritual and emotional programming.
- We provide holistic services for youth and adults creating a pipeline from cradle to college.
- We provide individualized attention customizing our approach by situation.
- We collaborate with partners that share our vision and are connected to our values.
- Our personal success as staff and members is our collective success.
- We create and leave a positive legacy that translates into generational success.